Hoban offers two programs for students to earn college credit while attending high school. The purpose of these programs is to promote rigorous academic excellence and provide a wide variety of options for students. These options are open to all qualified students who meet the prerequisites for enrollment of both Hoban and the university. Students are expected to work with advanced material at an accelerated pace. All college credit opportunities are graded on a weighted scale.

Advanced Placement Courses

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are taught by Hoban faculty using the curriculum approved by the College Board. Successful completion of coursework in the AP program allows students the opportunity to take the AP exam in May. Students who earn a score of a 3 or higher on the AP test receive credit that is accepted by many colleges and universities. Students can only receive college credit if they take the AP test. Students pay a fee to take the test.

AP Courses:

  • Biology
  • Calculus AB
  • Chemistry
  • Computer Science Principles
  • English Language and Composition
  • English Literature and Composition
  • European History
  • Physics C: Mechanics
  • Statistics
  • Studio Art
  • U.S. History

College Credit Plus

College Credit Plus (CCP), funded by the Ohio General Assembly, allows students to take college classes at either Hoban or on a local college campus. Families of students in private schools must apply for funding to cover the costs of courses through the college. Funding is NOT need based.

  • Students who choose to attend an Ohio public college or university are not charged for tuition, fees or textbooks.
  • Students who decide to take classes at a private college or university may have limited costs, fees or textbook charges.
  • Students who successfully complete CCP classes will receive both high school and college credit without taking an exit exam.

Currently, Hoban offers courses on our campus directly through Walsh University, University of Mount Union and Kent State University. Eligible students can elect to take courses directly through any Ohio college or university.

2023-24 CCP STEPS

  1. Apply to the college(s) through which you will be taking CCP classes. Hoban has partnerships with Kent State, Mount Union, Stark State, and Walsh University, but students can take classes through any Ohio institution that offers CCP courses.
    1. Kent State University
    2. University of Mount Union
    3. Stark State College
    4. Walsh University
    5. University of Akron
  2. Complete the CCP Consent Form to grant permission to send transcripts and test scores. 
  3. Create an OH|ID Account through the Ohio Department of Education
  4. Create and submit a funding application within the OH|ID Account. There is a manual to complete this process under Resources. Hoban will offer in person sessions to complete this process on March 13, 15, and 16. Sign up to attend a session


College Course Hoban Course Equivalent Accredited University College Credits
Spanish 101 Honors Spanish III University of Mount Union 4
Spanish 102 Honors Spanish IV University of Mount Union 4
French 101 Honors French III University of Mount Union 4
French 102 Honors French IV University of Mount Union 4
Latin 101 Honors Latin III University of Mount Union 4
Latin 102 Honors Latin IV University of Mount Union 4
Italian 101 Honors Italian III University of Mount Union 4
Italian 102 Honors Italian IV University of Mount Union 4
Calculus    Walsh University 5
Elementary Functions I & II   Walsh University 6 (3 per semester)
Environmental Science   University of Mount Union 4
U.S. History   University of Mount Union 8 (4 per semester)
American Government Honors Government University of Mount Union 4
International Politics   Kent State University  
Principles of HVAC I   Stark State College  
Principles of HVAC II   Stark State College