College Credit Opportunities
Hoban offers three programs for students to earn college credit while attending high school. The purpose of these programs is to promote rigorous academic excellence and provide a wide variety of options for students. These options are open to all qualified students who meet the prerequisites for enrollment of both Hoban and the university. Students are expected to work with advanced material at an accelerated pace. All college credit opportunities are graded on a weighted scale.
Advanced Placement Courses
Advanced Placement (AP) courses are taught by Hoban faculty using the curriculum approved by the College Board. Successful completion of coursework in the AP program allows students the opportunity to take the AP exam in May. Students who earn a score of a 3 or higher on the AP test receive credit that is accepted by many colleges and universities. Students can only receive college credit if they take the AP test. Students pay a fee to take the test.
Advanced College Credit
Advanced College Credit (ACC) courses through St. Louis University (SLU) are taught by Hoban faculty who are adjunct professors of SLU. Students who successfully complete their courses are granted college credit through SLU. The ACC courses are accepted at many colleges and universities nationwide. The current fee is $65 per credit hour.
College Credit Plus
College Credit Plus (CCP), funded by the Ohio General Assembly, allows students to take college classes at either Hoban or on a local college campus. CCP courses are free for students after completing an application and meeting the program requirements.
- Students who choose to attend an Ohio public college or university are not charged for tuition, fees or textbooks.
- Students who decide to take classes at a private college or university may have limited costs, fees or textbook charges.
- Students who successfully complete CCP classes will receive both high school and college credit without taking an exit exam.
Currently, Hoban has students participating in CCP courses through Walsh University, the University of Akron and Stark State College.
- Calculus AB
- English Language and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
- European History
- Studio Art and Drawing
- U.S. History
- Environmental Science: 3 credit hours
- French lll: 3 credit hours
- Government: 3 credit hours (one semester course)
- Latin III and IV: 3 credit hours each
- Spanish III :3 credit hours
- Museum Studies: 3 credit hours (one-semester course)
- U.S. History: 6 credit hours
- Biology: 3 credit hours
- Elementary Functions I & II: 6 credit hours
- Calculus: 5 credit hours
- Essentials of Organic Chemistry : 3 credit hours (one-semester course)