The initial step for an eighth-grade student wishing to apply to Hoban is to take the High School Placement Test (HSPT). The test is one of the tools the admissions committee uses to evaluate each applicant. Hoban uses the placement test both as an entrance exam and as one common data source for all incoming students.
The HPST is also used to award the Moreau, Father Dujaré, and St. André Bessette scholarships to incoming freshmen. Every year, students who score between a 90-99 on the HSPT receive these prestigious awards. These scholarships range from $3,000-$7,000.
Parents are invited to attend the Breakfast and Information session at 10 a.m. while students are testing. Information about our Holy Cross tradition, the application process and financial assistance will be provided.
Pencils are provided to students. No calculators are allowed. The $20 testing fee is collected on the day of the test. The HSPT is for eighth-grade students only. Transfer students do not need to take a placement test.
PLACEMENT TEST DATES
- Saturday, Oct. 2, 2021, 8:30 a.m. to Noon
(Testing accommodations as required by provisions of a Service Plan, a 504 Plan, an Individualized Education Program (IEP), or any similar plan, will be offered only on the Oct. 2 test date. Students who require multiple days for testing as part of their accommodations should plan to attend testing on both Oct. 2 and 3.)
- Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2021, 4:30 - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021, 8:30 a.m. to Noon
- Saturday, Dec. 4, 2021, 8:30 a.m. to Noon
The December date is a make-up test. No scholarship monies will be awarded from this test and no parent session will be offered.
HIGH SCHOOL PLACEMENT TEST PREP
Hoban offers a High School Placement Test Prep course to students in 7th and 8th grade.
A second High School Placement Test Prep course has been added to the schedule based on the demand received by families. Register early as it's likely to fill quickly.
Sunday, Oct. 10, 2021, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Holy Cross Room
- Receive an in-depth review of HSPT topics, including verbal skills, quantitative skills, reading, mathematics and language
- Learn valuable strategies that reinforce key lessons for succeeding on the HSPT
- Complete a practice test • Review test-taking strategies including test anxiety
- Receive take-home study materials
Two instructors will facilitate the course. One is a Cleveland diocesan English teacher and HSPT coach with 3 years experience. The other instructor is a Hoban math teacher.
PRACTICE HIGH SCHOOL PLACEMENT TEST
Saturday, May 7, 2022
9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
The practice HSPT provides seventh-grade students the opportunity to get a head start on the high school admissions process. Pencils are provided to students. No calculators are allowed. The $20 testing fee is collected on the day of the test. The placement test fee is $20 and is non-refundable.
Summer High School Placement Test Prep Course and Test for admission
June 6 – 9, 2022, 9 a.m. – Noon
Students will learn the study skills needed to score well on the high school placement test Monday through Wednesday, 9 a.m. - noon. On Thursday, June 9, students can take the HSPT to be used for enrollment and merit-based scholarships to Hoban in 2022. The course is limited to 75 students.
The $120 (non-refundable) fee includes:
- Enrichment in Math and English
- High School Placement Test preparation
- Barron’s Strategies and Practice for the HSPT study guide
- Strategies to help reduce test anxiety
- Registration for the HSPT (June 9, 2022 or a 2022 fall test date)
Registration coming soon