Christian service allows students to witness and participate in the building of Christ's kingdom. It empowers students to be faithful to our Holy Cross tradition that calls us to develop "the competence to see and the courage to act." Thus our service must directly serve the poor and the vulnerable.
Serving the poor was an integral component of Jesus' teachings and life. Through Christian service, students learn about our community, meet people they otherwise would not interact with and gain a greater appreciation for those who are working to make our communities stronger.
— Chris Fahey, COORDINATOR OF Christian Service and Theology Teacher
Christian Service Project
The Christian service project is a graduation requirement in the Theology curriculum. Each student is required to complete the hours of service based on their grade level. In March, students reflect, write and present their service experience with members of their theology class.
GRADE-LEVEL HOUR REQUIREMENTS
- Students must complete all Christian service hours at one service organization that offers them the opportunity to directly interact with and work alongside the poor, marginalized, and vulnerable members of our community.
- The service site must be approved before a student can begin his/her service hours. VIEW SITE SUGGESTIONS
- Students will not be allowed to complete their hours at a site that does not offer opportunities to directly serve the poor, marginalized, or vulnerable. Places such as the Food Bank, Vacation Bible School, PSR, retreats, sports camps or a pet shelter will not be approved as a service site as these organizations do not provide opportunities for direct service with the poor or marginalized.
- Christian service hours must be logged in x2VOL.
- Returning students will use their existing x2VOL account to log hours. Incoming freshmen and transfer students will need to register on the site.
- June 1, 2023: Students may begin working on their Christian service hours for the 2023-24 school year
- Monday, Nov. 13, 2023: Deadline for students to submit their pre-approval forms (before beginning their hours)
- Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2024: Students must have half of their Christian service hours completed and logged in x2VOL
- Friday, March 1, 2024: Christian service hours due. All hours must be logged in x2VOL by this date.
Contact Mr. Chris Fahey with any questions.