Christian service allows students to witness and participate in the building of Christ's kingdom. It empowers students to be faithful to our Holy Cross tradition that calls us to develop "the competence to see and the courage to act." Thus our service must directly serve the poor and the vulnerable.
Christian Service Project
The Christian service project is a graduation requirement in the Theology curriculum. Each student is required to complete the hours of service specified below for each year of attendance. Reflection is an integral part of the service experience. As such, students participate in a multiple day writing, reflection and sharing program along with the other members of their theology classes in March.
Guidelines for the Christian service hours program for the 2022-23 school year
- Christian service hours are a yearly requirement for a student to be promoted to the next grade and to graduate.
- Students must complete all Christian service hours at one service organization that offers them the opportunity to directly interact with and work alongside the poor, marginalized, and vulnerable members of our community. A list of service site suggestions can be found below.
- The service site must be approved before a student can begin his/her service hours.
- Students will not be allowed to complete their hours at a site that does not offer opportunities to directly serve the poor, marginalized, or vulnerable. Places such as the Food Bank, Vacation Bible School, PSR, retreats, sports camps or a pet shelter will not be approved as a service site as these organizations do not provide opportunities for direct service with the poor or marginalized.
- Christian service hours must be logged in x2VOL.
- Returning students will use their existing x2VOL account to log hours. Incoming freshmen and transfer students will need to register on the site.
Important Christian service hour dates:
- Monday, Nov. 14, 2022: Deadline for students to submit their pre-approval forms (before beginning their hours)
- Monday, Jan. 9, 2023: Students must have half of their Christian service hours completed and logged in x2VOL.
- Friday, March 3, 2023: Christian service hours due. All hours must be logged in x2VOL by this date.
Contact Mr. Chris Fahey with any questions.
Christian Service Requirements